My mom wasn't the first parent to sign up for PTA events, or to volunteer for a potluck. She felt ill-at-ease among the pearl-wearing establishment of Southern cocktail parties, and she was never one to simply go into a kitchen and casually "whip something up." But she had a few go-to's that would leave anyone fooled: among them, broccoli salad. "Eat your trees," she'd say, as six-year-old me would push our family's go-to vegetable from one side of my plate to the other---one of the stranger mom-isms I've held onto, perhaps, but a directive I'm willing to oblige. -- lennon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite-size florets (discard stems)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion or green onion or both
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup peanuts or sunflower seeds
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Cover and refrigerate several hours.
- Combine broccoli, onion, raisins, peanuts, and bacon. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well. Chill.