This version of baba ghanouj hails from Irregardless Cafe, the first vegetarian restaurant in my hometown of Raleigh, NC, founded in 1975. One of my earliest memories is gawking at the fruit waffle they placed before me, heaping with whipped cream: the very height of indulgence to my four-year-old eyes. It kept its place on my mom’s list of favorite restaurants for more than 30 years. -- lennon
- 1 pound eggplant (preferably 2 small ones)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- dash of salt
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Put cut side down on a lightly oiled shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 mins or until the pulp is cooked and soft. Larger eggplants will take longer.
- Scoop out pulp. Mash. Add crushed garlic, mix thoroughly. Then add the remaining ingredients. It may be blended if a creamier consistency is desired.
- Serve chilled with crackers or pita bread.